guarana side effects

Megachurch Pastor Laments “Fast Food” Church

Christ's Charge to Peter by Raphael, 1515. In ...

Image via Wikipedia

With the focus on numbers (attendance), building sizes, media reach, etc., I’ve often wondered if the American church culture has sold its soul for worldly success.  Usually, my answer is a qualified yes.

Seems that I’m not the only one who’s thinking so.

Megachurch pastor Brady Boyd asks readers the tough question that has plagued many pastors and congregations alike, touching upon a rather sensitive subject for most religious leaders.

“Have we, as American pastors, given up our calling as shepherds and unknowingly become fast food entrepreneurs who are building a religious business and not a church?” the Colorado pastor posed on his blog.

“I know what most church leaders would tell me if I asked this question. They would say they want to make disciples, reach the lost, and help the hurting. And they probably do. But what I hear leaders talk about most are attendance numbers and because our mouth always betrays our hearts, I suspect we have focused too much on how many are attending rather than how many are growing.”

That’s the one thing that I noticed in my time as a member of a megachurch.  No matter how many people attended, it was usually the same 10% that volunteered to teach Sunday School, to go on Church led missions, etc.  The other 90% seemed to be comfortable just consuming.

Enhanced by Zemanta


  • http://goulablogger.wordpress.com Chuck Grantham

    I am a member of a smaller (though still larger than the typical >100) SBC church, and it’s the same there. The 80/20 rule seems universal.

    • http://homebrewedtheology.com Christian

      Do you think there’s anything that the “big C” church can do to improve that?

  • Joy

    The 80/20 rule IS universal…cohort/home church…small baptist church…neighborhood community church…9K member mega church.

  • Rebecca

    Yes, it is universal whether church or community cub scouts. The 80/20 is, unfortunately, standard. I have a theory why it doesn’t change:
    The children of the 20%Servants watch the example their parents set and do the same. The children of the 80% consumers watch the example their parents set and do the same. I think I’ll blog on this theory. Now, are their exceptions? Oh yes, but look at the children of the people around you and see if you don’t see the same. I agree that not everyone is a leader, but God calls all to be servants. It really is that simple.

  • Pingback: Book Review: Small Is Big | Homebrewed Theology()

%d bloggers like this: