Oh dear lord help us.
This coming November there will be two “sovereignty” measures on the Arizona ballot.
One will allow the Arizona Legislature to nullify “any law they determine” violates the US Constitution.
Who needs that pesky old Judicial Branch anyway!?!
The other will have Arizona declare its “sovereign and exclusive authority and jurisdiction over the air, water, public lands, minerals, wildlife and other natural resources within its boundaries.”
Ummm.. yeah, the Federal Government, through the Constitution, has exclusive jurisdiction over Federal lands.
This should serve as prima facie evidence that those who scream “follow the Constitution” the loudest typically:
1) Don’t know what the Constitution says.
2) Hates the Constitution when it gets in their way.
You know, there was a time when I’d just laugh at these sorts of ballot measures, knowing they had exactly zero chance of passing.
With the rise of the far-right, nativist, birther, ignorant, tea party wacko extremists here in Arizona, these could pass, setting us on a course to repeat the Nullification Crisis.
- Arizona flooded by emails on Obama eligibility (wnd.com)
- Can Arizona Really Secede from the US? (livescience.com)
- Citizens to Save Arizona’s Natural Resources Makes Final Push to Qualify for 2012 November Ballot (azheritage.wordpress.com)